If you didn’t know, I like having hobbies now. I think it’s mostly due to the fact that I never had them when I was a kid. From kindergarten to the (community) college years, I never had hobbies that didn’t involve being on the computer or watching televsion all day. I was different from most (in a stereotypical sense) Asian girls at school–IN A REALLY BAD WAY–because I was the most unproductive, lazy derpy American kid you can ever imagine, and of course my parents never really cared because they probably assumed a really rich guy was going to take care of me someday, so I was use to staying home and doing nothing for a very long time.

Well, I’m 24 and I’ve barely woken up (from the laziness) and now I’m simply trying to do all of the things I should’ve done years ago. Some of these involve building Gundams (I should take pictures of them!), creating fake armor and eventually sewing fabric for cosplay, and now to add to the list…making little food toys and charms out of polymer clay.

My interest in these things started out from googling “how to bling your phone case” and the search results had lead me to discover the fabulousness of “decoden“. Decoden is a Japanese thing (great description!) and what it is, is basically cutifying the shit out of your stuff. Have you ever seen cell phones, makeup compacts and nails that were laden with Hello Kitty, bows, fake candy and other cute stuff? That’s decoden. And the cute stuff I’ve mentioned is what I want to make.

People usual make this out of polymer clay. Polymer clay is a sculptable substance that will harden/cure once you bake it. You can sculpt anything you want and turn them into earrings, charms and the like. I’ve already ordered most of my supplies and I’m really excited to get this baby going. Of course, I don’t expect to be good right off the bat. If all else fails, I’ll just make a really cute turd.

1. Ray says:

you’re too awesome -=]

Haha, no you are!

2. Shannon says:

LMAO @ turd.

I can’t wait to see some of the things you’ll make. I think you’ll be pretty good at it, you have a vivid imagination.

Aww thank you Shannon, I sure hope so! :D

3. JC says:

Haha. Wouldn’t this take on a whole new level with costume props as well?

I didn’t know there was a name for cutesyfying stuff. Man, the Japanese seem to have an obsession with that… even with the women. They look like life-size dolls!

Yes, it does actually. And there are people who use the same material for their costumes and props for molding & casting…so I’m definitely looking forward to using polymer clay just for that, not just for cute stuff!

That was actually my own definition of what decoden is, but really, everything from “decoden-ing” has been super cute!

4. Ela says:

Cuteness lvl: over 9000

That looks like it’d be a really fun hobby! Be sure to post pics of your creations :D

Eeeeppp this is too cute! You and your projects, can’t wait to see the stuff you come up with. ;)

I love things people make with polymer clay! They’re usually so cute, especially ones of food :) I can’t wait to see what you make with it!

7. Jenny says:

LOL, cute turd. I loved making things with clay when I was younger, but I’m so lazy now I can’t be bothered D: I’ve seen the stuff people made with polymer clay though – they’re so darn cute! And the details on them are just amazing! Can’t wait to see what you make!

8. Jena says:

I would love to do this too, I just have so many hobbies that I’m like AHHH xD

9. Melle lee says:

I’ve always been a fan of cute stuff.. but too bad most of it could only be found in Tokyo.. :( I do have a friend who loves Polymer Clay Art.. She can also make some earrings and stuff with a Polymer clay.. wish i also know how to do some.. its a good hobby and one way of earning money too as well..

10. [...] a few days ago I talked about discovering a new hobby that is working with polymer clay. For the past two days, I’ve [...]