1. I don’t reply to comments as much as I should only because I don’t like it effecting the number of comments displayed. Yes, it sounds really silly but I can’t help it. I love seeing the number of comments go up in my entries but not when they’re coming from me. I will only reply if I feel like it’s necessary to.
2. I don’t do link exchanges because it feels contrived. I’m a firm believer of linking blogs that you enjoy reading and not expect anything in return from them. Link exchanges are primarily done so that you and the other person can potentially get more hits and page views, which is fine but I’m already satisfied with the current number of visits I get on my site.
3. I always check for broken links and inactive blogs because I have standards, man! I like to keep my links page active and working, so if I’ve removed your blog before it’s because you haven’t updated in months, and when you haven’t updated in months, I assume you’ve given up on blogging…like the rest of them.
4. When I do giveaways, I prefer them to be discreet and not to be shared with other networking sites. You know what pisses me off? When an entry gets 10x more comments than usual because they’re having a giveaway–it’s like, WHERE THE HELL WERE YOU WHEN THEY WERE JUST BLOGGING NORMALLY? I don’t often throw giveaways, but when I do, the only people who deserve winning are the ones who have already been visiting and reading my blog, not some random asshole who found the link shared on Twitter, and chances are, they’ll never come back to my site again.
5. When I make a list like this, I always like to keep it to five things because five looks whole and “complete”. The 5th one on this list also happens to come with a bonus picture of a friend’s kitty I once took (who is now much bigger and fatter):